La Bella Vista

I am a recent college graduate but have chosen to primarily be a stay at home mom for now. I do work part time but thankfully my wonderful husband is able to keep my beautiful Little Bit. I have 2 cats whom I love VERY much!

Sunday, December 17, 2006


Are "new-mommy sanity" classes being offered anywhere? Seriously, I'll pay! I am absolutely about out of my head!! My beautiful sweet (although busy) little angel has QUICKLY turned into a little terror. I don't know what happened! I was busy working a grand opening for Chick Fil A all week long so I wasn't home much. I don't know if that screwed her up or what but GEEZ! I need my little girl back!!! I was home almost all day, everyday but I'd put her down for her nap, B would get home, and I'd go to the G.O. until after Little Bit went to bed. Maybe she was acting out b/c I wasn't there but darnit, I've been here the last 2 days and she's still acting horrible!
Case in point:
*Spankings are no longer effective. I might as well be rubbing bunnies on her legs b/c my smacking them is doing NO good. I've even reverted to the wooden spoon and it has done no good. What comes next?
*She likes to climb on the coffee table.
*Even worse, she likes to climb on her leap frog table and STAND. Those things are really small and not at all flat enough for her to balance!!!
*She CONTINUOUSLY does what I tell her not to. I say "no" and she hears "please keep continuing to make me pull out my hair."
*We put one of those baby play yards around the Christmas tree shortly after putting it up (although the picture is shown without the gate) but it doesn't work anymore. She now finds something to stand on so that she can reach the tree...or she'll just hold on to the gate and shake it with all her might in hopes the tree will fall into her reach.
*She has taken up gagging herself in the carseat. For 5 miles last night she did this and then...of course...threw up. Yippee...
*She will NOT stay seated in her high chair, the cart at the store, or anything else that her bottom needs to be in contact with. I had to physically hold her legs down through the leg holes in the cart at the store yesterday...while she kicked me.

I'm losing my mind...I am absolutely going out of my head and I feel like my whole day consists of spankings. I bet I spanked her 20 times yesterday and every spanking was met with an innocent look and a continuation of whatever act deserved the spanking. Does anyone have a suggestion??? And please don't say time-out b/c I seriously doubt that is going to work on a 13 month old.

5 Comments:

At 12/17/2006 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girl. I so can relate about the gagging in the car thing.

I don't really have any good advice, as ella is still in her sweet toddler phase. can you say oxymoron. sweet and toddler in one burst.

Good luck though! :)

 
At 12/19/2006 2:31 PM, Blogger Kristen said...

Well, she sounds like a very typical and normal toddler to me. Spankings never have worked for me. Neither have time outs.

It may just be a phase she's going through that has to be outgrown. She's testing hers and your limits. She can probably tell she's driving you nuts, which eggs her on more. I'd just take the unsafe things out of her reach, and make sure she's safe and take a breather every now and then. I've had to do that many, many times.

Probably not very encouraging, but all my kids went through this at about the same age. They do get over it.

 
At 12/19/2006 8:05 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Fun times! I have no good advice, except to hang in there! Parenting is the hardest job in the world.

 
At 12/20/2006 2:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

My oh my. What stress. I know when we have had temper tantrums with Justice, I have often put him in the crib, which makes him mad, but it has helped the problem. So, that is one technique you might try. I don't know about keeping her in the high chair, cart, etc. Justice doesn't like to stay in the shopping cart either. Lately I have tried to go without him. It has to get easier when the reasoning skills kick in as they get older because you can have a little more to work with, but at this age, you can't explain you stand on your learning table and you could fall and hurt yourself. Just hope it gets better for you :)

 
At 12/23/2006 10:24 PM, Blogger Gina said...

It will get better... she is way too young to understand spankings, time outs or with-holdings. I am having the same problem. The word "no" and consistantly removing him from what he is doing wrong is slowly working. Just love her... it is hard for me to get over the slaps and high pitched fits... Sometimes I want to pitch a fit after he does.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home